Re: Question regarding Director script

Hi Edward:

I'm guessing that currently you have written some CGI programs which
allow your catalogers to generate a URL for them to use in the 856 field?
If so, I think you could probably adapt your CGI scripts to add to the
Director table without too much difficulty.

I didn't know about Director before your email, but I took a look at the code
and it is using DBM files to store the redirect data on disk (rather than in
memory). So theoretically you could adapt your existing CGI scripts so
that they would add to this DBM file...and presto, your Director CGI
script would be able to see them.

If you are new to DBM files take a look in the Camel book at the dbmopen()
function. It basically ties a HASH (%x say) to a random access file
on disk. It's a great way to provide easy, fast access to data without
having to store it in memory--which would be bad if you had a ton of
redirects.

It would be cool if Director was object-oriented, so that the creation,
retrieval, update, and deletion of an entry in its DBM file would be bundled
along with the object ... Or does such a beast already exist somewhere?

Ed