Willy's Pub, 1975 - 1995
Reaction to the Pub's interior design was mixed. One patron called it "marvelous." A group of architecture students (including William Cannady, who would go on to design the Hanszen commons), though, dubbed it "reactionary ... a sort of middle class attempt at the River Oaks Country Club."
In the early years, Willy's was the second largest consumer of beer in Harris County, behind only the AstroDome. Through the mid 1980s, the Pub ran a surplus, donating money to other campus organizations. When the drinking age was raised to 21 in 1986, patronage fell and red ink began to pile up. By the spring of 1994, Willy's was in danger of closing down. President Gillis waived the fees the Pub had to pay for maintenance for 1993-94 and reduced them for the next year.
The last major fire on campus was in the summer of 1975. The Hanszen commons, left unlocked and piled high with furniture from a remodeling of Wiess, were gutted by a blaze of unknown origin. The remainders of the building were demolished in the fall to make way for the present commons. Residents of Hanszen ate in the Grand Hall of the RMC instead for the 1975-76 school year.
This item appeared in the News section of the April 21, 1995 issue.
Copyright © 1996 The Rice Thresher. All Rights
This document may be distributed electronically, provided that it is distributed in its entirety and includes this notice. However, it cannot be reprinted without the express written permission of:
The Rice Thresher, Rice University, 6100 Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892, USA.