HEALTHY SHRIMP CREOLE
This recipe was created by my brother, Howard, who is an excellent chef. As I've mentioned before, he is a lawyer by trade, however, is missing his calling in life: he should own a restaurant! I've been begging him for his recipe for chocolate chip cookies (to die for). So far, he hasn't come through. Maybe it's a family secret that he won't share???? Keep your fingers crossed and watch for it.
- 3/4 LBS shrimp, peeled
- 3/4 LBS orange roughy or comparable fish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 TSP oregano
- 1/2 TSP basil
- 1/2 bay leaf, chopped
- 1/2 TSP celery seed
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1. Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- 2. Toss in garlic, onion and green pepper. Cook until onion is translucent.
- 3. Toss in fresh and canned tomatoes and spices.
- 4. Simmer until stew-like.
- 5. Toss in seafood while still hot. Lower heat and simmer for 15-25 minutes. If too saucy add flour-water mixture made by combining flour and warm water until pasty.
- 6. Serve over heaping mound of white rice.
Nutrient analysis (without white rice)
Carbohydrates: 16.73 grams (28%)
Protein: 32.37 grams (54%)
Fat: 4.774 grams (18%)